DIY Hunting Wallet: Your Ultimate Backup Survival Hunting Kit!
For seasoned hunters and outdoor enthusiasts alike, preparedness is the key to a successful and safe hunting expedition. Picture having a backup hunting kit discreetly tucked inside an old or used wallet – a hunting wallet filled with essential survival hunting gear ready to assist you in any hunting or survival situation. In this blog post, we'll explore why carrying a hunting wallet is a game-changer for hunters and adventurers, and how transforming an old wallet into a survival hunting kit can provide you with an invaluable backup plan for your outdoor pursuits.
Why Carry a Survival Hunting Wallet
1. Compact and Lightweight:
The hunting wallet's greatest asset lies in its compact size and lightweight design. By re-purposing your old wallet, you create a mini hunting kit that effortlessly fits into your pocket or hunting bag, ensuring you have quick access to hunting essentials without adding any extra weight.
2. Always Prepared:
Hunting trips can be unpredictable, and even the most experienced hunters can encounter unexpected challenges. Having a hunting wallet as a backup plan ensures that you're always prepared to handle any hunting situation that arises, from minor equipment malfunctions to unforeseen survival scenarios.
3. Repurposing Old Items:
Repurposing an old wallet into a hunting kit promotes sustainability by reducing waste. Transforming something you no longer use into a valuable hunting tool reduces waste while enhancing your outdoor preparedness.
4. Customizable Gear Selection:
The beauty of a hunting wallet is that you can tailor it to meet your specific hunting needs and skillsets. Fill it with gear that compliments your skills some items you might consider would be a mini knife, fire starters, cordage, and a few essential survival tools while focusing on food procurement items like snare wire trapping, and hunting items. This versatility allows you to adapt to various hunting scenarios, ensuring you have the right tools for the job.
5. Ideal for Survival Hunting:
Survival hunting is an essential skill for any outdoor enthusiast. The hunting wallet provides you with the necessary tools to secure food and protect yourself in emergency situations, elevating your self-reliance and confidence during challenging hunting expeditions.
Lets Build a DIY Survival Hunting Wallet
We will guide you through the step-by-step process of creating your very own DIY Survival Hunting Wallet, turning an ordinary wallet into a compact and efficient hunting kit that ensures you're always ready for whatever the wilderness throws your way.
Step 1: Selecting the Right Wallet
Begin by selecting an old or used wallet that is still in good condition. Any wallet can work for this use, you just have to adapt to that wallets strengths and weaknesses.
- Bi Fold or Tri Fold Wallet - This is a common one, it works great as it has pockets that hold items. They become overstuffed easily, but that's not a difficult problem to solve (we discuss it below)
- Velcro, or Zip Up wallet - These work well as a fishing wallet as they can often be overstuffed easily since they have a type of closure
- Minimalist Wallet - These work deceptively well. You'd think items would fall out easily, but if you utilize items that are credit card size, or small bags or pouches to keep everything from falling out, and the band enables you to store items outside the wallet.
- Leather Front Pocket Wallet - These typically only have one or two pockets, they can work if you add a band around them to hold additional items on the outside.
Step 2: Emptying the Contents
Clear out the contents of the wallet, removing any old cards, receipts, and other unnecessary items. This will give you a clean slate to work with.
Step 3: Waterproofing the Wallet (Optional)
Since hunting often involves being exposed to the elements, it's recommended to waterproof your hunting wallet, or store it in a location that keeps it minimally exposed to the elements. Apply a waterproof sealant or spray to both the exterior and interior surfaces, ensuring your survival gear stays dry and protected as possible.
Step 4: Essential Survival Gear
Now comes the exciting part – assembling your survival hunting gear. Keep in mind the size and space limitations of your wallet, and it's focus on survival hunting rather than a general survival kit as you want to keep it compact and easy to carry. Some items you might include:
- Knife - With just a knife, you can do a lot for hunting and survival. Knives can be used to construct other tools, and hunting implements or as a hunting tool themselves being lashed onto a stick as a spear point. There are some great knives that can easily fit into wallets and serve multiple purposes.
- Wire - Wire can be used for lashing, but even better it can be used for making snares for small game.
- fire starting tool - A small fire kit ensures you can fire harden spear points, have warmth, and cook any game you manage to claim.
- tinder - In some conditions dry tinder can be hard to come by, carrying tinder in addition to a small fire kit is a must.
- Spear or Arrow Points - Carrying some hunting or fishing spear points in addition to some hunting or fishing arrow points greatly expands your capacity for food gathering.
- Trapping Tools - In a survival hunting kit some trapping tools would go a long way allowing items for passive food procurement while you actively hunt in other areas.
- Saw - A saw will help extend the life of your knife edge, and allow you very controlled and precise cuts for trap making.
- File - In addition to a saw, a file is not necessary but having the ability to delicately shape wood can be invaluable in making a trap that sets very easy, but fires off exactly like you want it to.
Step 5: Organizing the Hunting Wallet
Arrange your survival gear neatly within the wallet, utilizing the different pockets and compartments to keep everything organized and easily accessible. Use small containers or resealable bags to keep the items that might fall out secure and prevent them from shifting around.
Step 5: Overstuffed or needing more space?
You can easily fix overstuffing sing a large rubber band to keep your wallet closed, or you can use something like a gear organizer band to hold everything in place easily if your wallet ends up overstuffed. This is particularly useful on bi fold or tri fold wallets, but you can replace the wallet band on a minimalist wallet with something like this as well.
Step 6: Concealing and Discretion
One of the key advantages of the hunting wallet is its discreet appearance. It blends seamlessly with your everyday carry items, and is small enough to fit into a pocket, or stay organized in a bag or backpack allowing you to carry your survival gear without drawing attention.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your DIY Survival Hunting Wallet
Your Hunting Wallet is a compact and versatile hunting kit that can be your lifeline in the wilderness and easily provide you food. By repurposing an old or used wallet, you've turned something ordinary into a powerful tool for preparedness.
A hunting wallet filled with survival hunting gear is a game-changing addition to any hunter's toolkit. By transforming an old or used wallet into a survival hunting kit, you ensure that you're always prepared for the unexpected during your outdoor pursuits. The compact and versatile nature of the hunting wallet allows you to carry essential hunting tools with ease and discretion. So, next time you embark on a hunting adventure, remember the invaluable backup plan that lies within your hunting wallet – a lifeline of preparedness and self-reliance that can make all the difference in your hunting success and safety.